Thursday, April 28, 2011

Where I'm From

I come from a growing suburbia in the middle of the great state of Minnesota.  The growing town of Monticello is developing at an exponential rate most prominently due to its ideal location between the large metropolises of Minneapolis and St. Cloud.  The geography of the town is unique and gives the town a diverse vibe.  On one side of town lies the Mississippi River, then through the middle of town lays rolling hills that get larger to the further north of town.  I grew up on the outskirts of the northern part of town in a wooden home that sits on top a large hill overlooking a small lake.  It’s a scenic place abundant with wildlife with frequent encounters of wild deer, foxes and squirrels.   Living in the wilderness has always given me an appreciation for the beauty that Mother Nature has to offer.  Many nights I would find myself lying on my raft out in the middle of the lake looking up at a full moon surrounded by stars.  I appreciated the diversity in environment the most when running throughout the town and the wildlife always presented a challenge in trying to catch them.  The smell of freshly baked muffins on our early morning runs helped motivate me to keep up with the others, while the sounds of constant banging from the vast amounts of construction in town kept our steps in tempo.  The construction sites in their wide abundance seemed to hide some of the best hidden treasures, such as an old stop light that was about to be thrown away.  Such a wonderful masterpiece should not be tossed in the trash so it was then used to indicate the start of each practice.  Overall I come from a friendly neighborhood and thriving community that has fulfilled me with all kinds of memories I wouldn’t trade for the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment